Top Tips for working from home
Many of us are now facing working from home due to the ongoing corona virus because we are having to look after children or are self isolating. As there is already so much ongoing stress and uncertainty in a fast-moving and every changing world, having to now work from home can bring a whole new set of challenges. So, let's look at some tips to help reduce that stress and help you be more productive!
1. Establishing boundaries! Create a routine for each morning. Prepare for your day just as if you were going into the office. That means not staying in your pyjamas all day and clearly defining the beginning and ending of your work day.
2. Set ground rules with those also at home. This may be easier said than done when it comes to children or pets! Do your best to establish clear rules for what is allowed and what is not with your children, partner, or flatmate(s) while you are working.
3. Establish a dedicated work area, if possible. It is important to distinguish spaces for work, sleep, and relaxing.
4. Lunch breaks. Many of us tend to eat lunch at their desk when we are at work. That is not always helpful, but when working from home, it is important to break up your day. Take a break from any work-related emails or tasks during that time.
5. Defining what day of the week it is. When we work from home, the days of the week can begin to blend together. So, do not change the days that you do certain chores such as laundry and cleaning the house because if you do them throughout the day whilst working from home, that may cause distractions. Many personal trainers, yoga and Pilates instructors are offering online videos or classes. Consider scheduling those throughout the week to break up your days.
6. Maintain communication with your colleagues. It is important not to feel isolated or alone. Since we are not able to socialise with them at lunch or after work, consider setting up virtual lunches or afterwork social video chats. This will also help with feelings of universality... that you are not the only one experiencing what you are experiencing.
I hope these suggestions and tips might help during these unprecedented time of uncertainty. If you are struggling adjusting and are dealing with anxiety and worry, I am accepting clients for counselling and psychotherapy via online at this time. Please feel free to contact me to discuss the options available to you!